How to enroll:

If interested in our service, please contact BFMA at 816-474-2972 . BFMA enrollment forms are available below. Common questions/answers are listed on the FAQ’s tab and payment schedules as well as important information is listed on the calendar tab.

Please contact BFMA prior to completing enrollment forms. Forms can be faxed, emailed or mailed to BFMA.


The following items must be received before services can begin


Detailed Monthly Budget Sheet

Mental Health Agencies

Looking for an apartment?

United Way 2-1-1 Link

Mother and Child Health Coalition

Eat Well on $4/Day - Good and Cheap

What do I need to enroll?
If you have a case manager, please involve them during the enrollment process.

You will need the following documents:
  • Photo ID
  • Apartment Lease/ Rental Agreement
  • Current and past bills are needed to discuss a budget
  • Release of Information
  • Contract

What are my responsibilities as a client?
After you become a client you will need to:
  • Change your billing address by contacting each billing company. All bills need to be sent in c\o BFMA to our P.O. Box. Bills that are not sent directly to us cannot be paid in a timely manner.
  • Turn on/off utilities if required.
  • Provide receipts when requested.
  • Read the client handbook.
  • If you need to change your budget, you must contact your BFMA caseworker immediately. Changes include a medical bill, credit card, Rent-A-Center rental, or any other expense.

What will my BFMA caseworker do for me?
Your BFMA caseworker will:
  • Help you create a budget. It is important to stick with your budget in order to maintain timely bill payment.
  • Consult with apartment managers, utility companies, and other creditors in order to formulate proper payment plans.
  • Return your phone call. Please call during business hours (8:30 - 4:00), only leave one message, and allow your worker 24 hours to call you back.
  • Treat you with respect. Please be respectful to your caseworker.

Your BFMA caseworker will NOT provide you with any other social services or meet with you at their office.

When will I get my personal spending check?
Checks can be cashed for FREE at UMB bank.
  • All checks are mailed. Please wait four days for mail delivery before contacting your caseworker about not receiving a check.
  • Monthly checks are mailed on your specific pay day.
  • Bi-monthly checks will be mailed the first and third Monday of the month.
  • Weekly checks are mailed every Monday.
  • If Monday is a holiday checks will be mailed early.

What if I need more money?
  • You must request additional funds.
  • Receipts are required for any additional funds requested. Failure to do so may result in a denial of future additional funds.
  • Requests for additional funds are only mailed on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • Please allow four days for mail delivery before contacting your caseworker about not receiving a check.
  • Requests made after 3:30 pm Monday will be mailed Thursday.
  • Requests made after 3:30 pm Wednesday will be mailed the following Tuesday.

When is rent mailed?
  • Rent checks are mailed on the 1st and the 3rd of each month. There are no exceptions.
  • BFMA must have a copy of your lease prior to sending any rent payments. If you live with a friend or family member you must provide a written agreement of rent.
  • Inform your caseworker of any rent changes immediately and give notice at your current residence.

Can I get a financial report?
Yes, you can request a report of all income and expenditures. Only one report will be sent per month.

What if I move? Get married? Or have other changes?
You must notify BFMA of changes to report to Social Security.

Changes that must be reported:
  • change of address
  • change of employment- pay stubs must be submitted to BFMA
  • change in household membership
  • change in household income
  • marriage
  • divorce
  • hospitalization if over one month
  • incarceration if over one month

Does BFMA charge for services?
BFMA is allowed to charge a fee for services. The monthly fee is $44 or 10% of your income, which ever is less. This fee may increase when yearly benefit amounts increase. If a client has a dual diagnosis listed through Social Security, BFMA reserves that right to charge a higher fee if deemed necessary. Clients will be notified if these steps need to be taken.